Sunday 11 January 2009

Trombipulation


I'm sitting across the table from my older son (9)  watching him draw. Children have  a unique touch when they get creative. Their minds haven't been filled with all the rules yet. As a result, their work has a fresh, unashamed confidence that is so full of life. Grown artists spend their whole lives trying to "unlearn" and work with such innocence. Self consciousness, for me, is the biggest stepping stone to true creativity. The fear of what other people will think, and the fear of failure. It's actually impossible for a grown up to draw like a child. When you see kid's drawings in films you can always tell when they've been done by an adult. I reckon that part of it is scale. Because the pencil is so large in comparison to the child's hand, the resulting lack of control results in a coarser drawing style. I might try taping my hand up to restrict wrist movement  to see what effect that has.

This piece is an exploration in order and chaos. I was listening to Public Enemy when I made it. "Trombipulation" is the name of a P-Funk album by Parliament. 

No comments:

Post a Comment